Important info for American Students Completing Basic Sciences
LEAVES OF ABSENCE
LEAVE OF ABSENCE POLICY
University Leave of Absence Policy main points:
- The official academic leave of absence for students of the regular and advanced American program will begin on the 26th of August 2019 (the new LOA application has been uploaded on the website in the Downloads section). The first day of a LOA on the application has to coincide with the day when a student is obliged to resume classes (the beginning of the upcoming academic year) which, in the case of the clinical years calendar, is 26th of August 2019.
- A leave of absence can be requested for one year. It may be terminated before the end date of the granted period. If a student wishes to return to class earlier, they must report to the clinical registrar who will cancel the remaining part of the LOA.
- Having finished basic sciences, students start their summer vacation which is not included in a LOA (also the time when they ought to complete their last obligatory summer clerkship). A leave of absence should start when a student is not back on the first day of a new academic year – for rotations, it is usually the last week of August.
- Students of the BIS program, who take their vacation in the middle of their academic year and will have both of them already taken, are obliged to ask for a leave of absence from the first day after their semester (usually mid-February), e.g., if a student's semester lasts until 19th of February, the beginning date of LOA should be 20th of February.
- A leave of absence has to be requested in writing by using the appropriate form. All students who are not enrolled in rotations on the first day of the new academic year MUST apply for a leave of absence immediately.
- A student of MUL can be either enrolled in classes or remain on an approved leave of absence. Since the Rules and Regulations do not allow any other situation, students who are neither enrolled in any class nor remain on an approved leave of absence will be removed from the register.
- STUDENTS WHO PARTICIPATE IN THE FEDERAL LOAN PROGRAM MUST BE AWARE THAT THEIR 6-MONTH GRACE PERIOD IS COUNTED FROM THE DAY FOLLOWING THE LAST DAY OF CLASSES AS SCHEDULED IN THE ACADEMIC CALENDAR (E.G., FOR CLASSES LASTING UNTIL 30TH OF APRIL IT WOULD BE 1ST OF MAY). IF A STUDENT PROVES THAT S/HE HAS SCHEDULED THEIR SUMMER CLERKSHIP BETWEEN THIS DAY AND THE 1ST DAY OF THE NEW SEMESTER (BEGINNING OF CLINICAL ROTATIONS), THE GRACE PERIOD STARTING DATE CAN BE ADJUSTED SO AS NOT TO INCLUDE THE CLERKSHIP PERIOD. IF A STUDENT FAILS TO PRESENT TO THE OFFICE PROOF OF THE COMPLETED PRACTICE IMMEDIATELY AFTER ITS COMPLETION, THE GRACE PERIOD MAY BE ADJUSTED AGAIN TO EXCLUDE THE UNCONFIRMED CLERKSHIP.
Information for 4th year regular and advanced American students
Students leaving Poland after completion of Basic Sciences should have at least 2 recommendation letters from teachers.
Students who intend to take their USMLE Step 1 exam should apply, take and pass NBME examination administered by the University.
The following documents are to be signed by each student leaving Poland after completion of BSc:
Summer clerkship letter and requirements - to be picked up in the Dean's Office.
Additionaly, students who wish to leave Poland cannot have any outstanding payments towards the University or Hope Medical Institute (including late fees). Information on that can be received from Małgorzata Pentek (firstname.lastname@example.org).
On April 20-23, students of the Medical University of Lublin took part in the International Medical Tournament 2018... more
During the event 129 diplomas were granted to students of American, European, Asian, and Middle Eastern Programs as well as to students of dentistry... more