Praca w UM
PhD-STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP (3 years) at the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical University of Lublin
We seek a highly motivated and enthusiastic PhD student or PhD student candidate at the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical University of Lublin (UMLUB). The full-time position as a PhD- student is available for a period of three (3) years. The position is part of the project ”A tissue engineering platform for precision cancer medicine and chemosensitivity testing in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma”, financed by the NCN (National Science Centre). Principal Investigator (PI) is Prof. Dr Matthias Nees.
RESEARCH PROJECT OBJECTIVES
This project aims to establish, characterize, and standardize an organotypic 3D cell-culture or tissue-engineering platform for chemosensitivity-testing of primary tumour cells, isolated from head & neck squamous cell carcinomas (HNSCC). Matching methods and protocols will be developed as tools to predict the response and efficacy of anti-cancer drugs against aggressive patients’ tumours, and to facilitate better informed clinical decision-making in the future. The project includes collaboration with clinicians at the Dept of Otolaryngology, Centre of Oncology of the Lublin Region St. Jana z Dukli; and the Dept of Otolaryngology, UMLUB, and international collaborations with the Universities of Tampere and Turku/Finland. This project requires frequent short- to intermediate term research visits to our collaborator laboratories.
Carrying out the practical laboratory work described in the project:
- Isolating of tumour cells from primary head and neck cancers, and in vitro culture using 3D cell- and tissue culture models. The international collaborations aim to promote the use of standard techniques applied in tissue engineering and organ-on-a-chip (OoC) devices.
- Realtime and live cell microscopy (bright field, phase contrast and confocal imaging), combined with automated image analyses for phenotypic, high content screening. Additional methods include quantitative RT-PCR, immune fluorescence, genetic engineering (siRNA, CRISPR-cas9), protein biochemistry, etc.
- Attending courses and research visits will train the candidate in generation and analysis of robust scientific data, combined with machine learning, statistics, systems biology and bioinformatics.
- The candidate will communicate research data in the form of manuscripts, posters and oral presentations, e.g. in our internal biweekly meetings, the department’s monthly meetings, national and international scientific conferences.
- The PhD student will work in close collaboration with one Postdoctoral fellow, a second PhD student, the PI, and colleagues from associated research teams. This position requires excellent skills with cell- and tissue culture and molecular biology techniques, combined with an open personality and good social skills. We provide a stimulating, international and interdisciplinary research environment.
- MSc-degree in Biology, Biotechnology, Bioengineering or Biomedicine (or related fields).
- PhD student status at the start and during participation in the project / readiness to undertake training at the Doctoral School of the Medical University of Lublin.
- Good practical and theoretical knowledge of cell biology. Applicants should have prior hands-on experience in microscopy and cell cultures. Experience in immunological staining methods, image analysis, bioinformatics (AI, deep learning) and/or systems biology will be an asset.
- Great work capacity and enthusiasm for research. A strong interest in molecular mechanisms of cancer progression, invasion, metastasis, therapy, drug sensitivity and resistance; or translational (= applied clinical) cancer research in general.
- active participation in student scientific groups, societies and conferences. Fluency in spoken and written English. The working language in the laboratory is English. Publications in refereed journals, any internships abroad, or proven teaching abilities will be considered as advantages.
THE APPLICATION MUST CONTAIN:
- a brief motivation letter outlining why you are interested in the position, your previous research projects and work experience (CV) and your career goals.
- A description of your MSc thesis
- copies of diplomas, the complete list of your degrees and all relevant certificates
- complete list of conference abstracts and/or publications
- two referees (name and contact information)
- for the purpose of the recruitment process, please attach the following document
Salary level 4400 PLN (scholarship) gross/month for 3 years (36 months) with an opportunity to be extended for another 1 year. An active environment and a highly motivated group
HOW TO APPLY
Please attach your application in English as one pdf file (max 15 Mb) and send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for sending the application: 12 April 2021
Planned date of resolving the competition: 20 April 2021
Planned start date of the scholarship: May/June 2021
The best candidates will be invited for about 30 minutes job interview.
The competition may not be settled due to lack of candidates meeting the requirements.
The scholarship is granted according to REGULATIONS FOR AWARDING NCN SCHOLARSHIPS FOR NCN-FUNDED RESEARCH PROJECTS (Annex to Resolution No 25/2019 of the NCN Council).
The NCN research scholarship may be combined with other scholarships and salaries financed from NCN funds awarded under more than one research project, with the reservation that the total amount of scholarships and salaries collected may not exceed 5000 PLN per month.